Friday 17 August 2012

Bread Experiment No.2: 50/50 White & Wholegrain Spelt Bread

As I've mentioned in an earlier post, I've recently been experimenting with different types of flour and I have really enjoyed using spelt flour for bread. Yesterday I made a 50/50 loaf of half organic white spelt flour and half organic wholegrain spelt flour. Again I've been really impressed with the lightness of spelt flour. The half and half mix I tried was really a perfect dough to work with, not too light, not too heavy, just very easy and enjoyable. Especially for beginners I think this bread dough would be perfect. Here is what the bread looked like when it was finished baking:


I went for a zigzag cut to allow the bread to open and rise nicely in the oven. I like putting big cuts on a bread loaf because I love the open bits that are really crunchy. Although having said that, this loaf was phenomenally crunchy everywhere and the inside was perfectly airy and soft with a good flavour from the wholemeal flour. I will probably try a 100 % wholegrain spelt flour bread next and hopefully make a video soon about spelt flour because it has really become one of my firm favourites. I am urging you to try spelt flour, even if you've never baked bread before, this is the flour to start baking bread with. Yes it is a bit more expensive and not always easy to find but if you're lucky enough to get your hands on some you have to bake bread with it. And then you'll understand what beautiful artisan bread looks, smells and tastes like. 



No comments:

Post a Comment